Thursday, March 31, 2011

Why did your tarts fail?

Every little things count in baking. 

1) Baking Oven
Yes, I followed exactly what the recipe said but the temperature from a microwave oven with convection is different from the antique oven passed on by my mother. I wondered why but it's the truth.

2) Moulds
There are so many different moulds in the market. The one I mentioned in my previous blog uses a BIG mould. If you have small ones, then, you are able to produce 6 tarts instead of 4.

3) Measurement
Buy good measuring spoons for solid / liquid and mugs for liquid. You need to LEVEL the ingredients (scrap off the heap-up amount) unless mentioned otherwise.

4) Sugar
Use castor sugar for baking stuffs. Coarse sugar cannot be melt easily and will remain in solid form even after baking causing one part of tart to be sweeter than the other.

5) Eggs
Keep eggs in the refrigerator so that they can stay fresh

6) Flour
Different types of flour will make your tarts to have different texture. Organic flour will have a stronger texture compared to normal plain flour.

7) Monitoring
Whatever the recipes say, monitor your product. When you see the filling has already turn slightly brown, check whether it is cooked. If it is, stop baking it even before the time is up. Don't wait just because the recipe says so. Mine were burnt because I left them to the oven and gone to feed my son.

To check on the filling whether it is cooked, do the Toothpick test. Poke a toothpick through the filling and if the toothpick can stand by itself, then it is cooked.

At the moment I could only think of the above. If you do know of any others, kindly let me know so that I can share them.

So, let's get going. If I can have successful tarts in my second attempt, so you can do even better with the tips!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Nuffnang ads