Monday, March 14, 2011

Mee Hoon Kueh & Fried Vegetarian Dumplings

My mom's blood test shows that she is allergy to grains.

For the last two weeks, she has been eating multi-bean soup, corns and sweet potatoes. She was sad that she was not able to eat anything that make her feel full.

She missed rice. So, I suggested that she make her very own staple food - her favourite Mee Hoon Kueh.

It was quite a tedious task. One has to mix the flour, water and oil together until they become a dough. The dough cannot be too dry or wet.

It was a trial and error thing for us to make the right dough. An estimated 100gram of white flour (organic unbleached preferred), with 3 tablespoon of filtered water and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. It is advisable to use a mixer. Otherwise, you will have to dirty your hands with the sticky mixture. I remembered how I juggled between making bread and taking care of my crying son. I was not able to carry him because my hands were so sticky and it made me feel guilty.

The mixer I bought was less than RM100 and I have no regret buying it. It is really a good companion in making bread, cookies, cakes or even now, our Mee Hoon Kueh.

After mixing the ingredients with a mixer, a dough will be formed. If it doesn't, use your hands to make it. It is just like making a ball with clay.

Pull out a small piece from the dough and start rolling out. My mom likes thin texture Mee Hoon Kueh. So, she flattened the dough till it is really, really thin yet not torn. If you like the chewy thick texture, then don't roll out too much.

Bring a pot of water with Kei Chee (Wolfberry) and Hong Chou (Red dates) to boil. Sprinkle some salt in the water.

Tear the flattened dough into small pieces. (sizes depend on your liking). When the Mee Hoon Kueh is almost cooked, put in Kao Kei vege into the pot and let it boil for a moment.

Besides making Mee Hoon Kueh, the extra dough can be used to make dumplings. Roll out the dough and flatten it. This must be really thin yet not torn. Cut into square or round pieces. Fill them up with mix vege (diced carrots, corns and peas). My mom bought hers from Jusco - frozen department.

Fry the dumplings and viola - you have Mee Hoon Kueh with fried vegetarian dumplings...
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Nuffnang ads