Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What makes a good teacher?

I have gone through quite some stressful time with my lecturer due to my poor English. During the first review of my research proposal, she commented harshly on my proposal in front of my other coursemates. I was dumbfounded and deeply wounded. The only word I could recall was, "Grave". She kept mentioning my English was "grave", "so grave" and it seemed like there was a language barrier between herself and I. After that appointment, I went back and cried all out...All these while, I've been trying to improve my English by reading grammar books and novels. But it was just not enough. She said I've not been trying hard enough. What is "hard" then? Her level of commitment in academic would definitely be different from mine. She was not supposed to put the requirements of a PhD to the Masters students!

I was a primary school teacher for 2 years in 2005. And it never occur to me to call any of my students "stupid" or "you're so bad, bad in English." I knew how hurt it was. Whenever my students said they can't go further, I'll tell them to try harder. I'll guide them. I sacrificed my rest time during recess just to be with them and make them finish their homework or teach them reading. I felt contented when they could read and write. Aren't concern, love and patience the criteria to be a teacher?

I found that my lecturer only knew how to criticise and condemn and would never know how to encourage and love her students. If only she would tell me earlier that she could not stand my English, I would have gone for another lecturer, a lecturer who sees her students as the PEOPLE who have the same opportunity to express their feelings in English though they are not the native speakers!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Nuffnang ads