Monday, September 13, 2010

First Time Mother

Being a first time mother wasn't easy. After 10 months of learning and drilling, thank God, I'm still up and alive! Though I am taking Chinese medications all this while, it made no difference. I have to be a mother, a GOOD mother to my baby.

When he fell, he cried, and I cried too. Always almost immediately I'll put the blame of him falling on myself. "If only I would be more careful...If only I was there...," I thought. The train of thoughts would continue until the worms of guilt started to nibble into my life...How stupid could I be? I've lost just a moment with my son and he fell. If I continue to live in guilt, I am going to miss more.

When my son reached his six-month old, and was beginning to start his solid food, I was ecstatic. I wanted to feed him and make sure he listens and sits quietly until he finishes his meal. Yes, I don't like those parents who allow their children to graze on their food. Firstly, it is unhealthy for the child. Secondly, the child would not have table manners. But when time comes for me, I was faced with a huge challenge...not that my son was not willing to sit still but it was the cooking that I dread.

I burned the porridge a few times and my mother screaming at the top of her lungs for blackening her pots and cookware. I asked around and found that a few of my friends did not BOIL porridge. They DOUBLE-BOIL it instead. So, the porridge would NEVER EVER get burnt. How smart.

Thanks to Hooi Thiam for giving me the tips on cooking good porridge.

1. Lay a towel flat into a slow cooker.
2. Pour some water into the slow cooker ( get the towel wet).
3. Get a small china ware bowl or clay pot which could fit into the slow cooker.
4. Put the amount of rice to be cooked into the bowl/clay pot. (Make sure the rice is washed)
5. Add in other ingredients to be cooked eg. potato, carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato, onion, etc.
6. With each tablespoon of rice, pour in half a bowl or 80ml of water. (if 2 tbspn, 160ml water).
7. Cover up the bowl or clay pot and let the slow cooker cook for 3 hours.

Make sure to mash the potato, carrot, sweet potato, etc. and mix them evenly with the porridge. The porridge is just fine - with not too much or too less of water - just right for my baby.

My baby likes pumpkin, onion and anchovy soup porridge. But as my Chinese doctor advised, it is best to have a different menu each day for the baby. You don't like to eat the same thing everyday and neither do the baby. Though pumpkin is good, is not advisable to eat it everyday. Hence, the menu I have for my baby varies by the different combinations from the same ingredients.

Eg. Day 1 - anchovy, carrot, pumpkin
Day 2 - orange flesh sweet potato only (orange flesh is softer than yellow flesh ones)
Day 3 - fish porridge
Day 4 - spinach, anchovy, pumpkin
Day 5 - potato, carrot, onion
Day 6 - onion, pumpkin
Day 7 - carrot, anchovy




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Nuffnang ads