Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Creepy Fever

My son  had a creepy fever last week. The reason I named it Creepy is because the fever crept into my son in the middle of the night. Thank God, He woke me up at 4am to check on my son's temperature and found that it hit 39.4 degree Celcius. I quickly opened a pack of Koolfever and stuck it on my baby's forehead, in hope that it would lower his temperature and let it be. 

The next morning, when we were awoke, I checked my baby's temperature again and only to find that it was still at 39 Celcius. I quickly informed my husband and we sent him to the Klinik Kesihatan. After taking 2 doses of medicine, my baby's temperature dropped to 37. 6. Nevertheless, at around 8.50pm, his temperature rose up to 40.1. We rushed him to the nearest clinic and the doctor inserted a suppository paracetamol into his rectum. His fever gone down but at 2am, I was awaken to check on his temperature and it hit 39 again. I inserted another dose of paracetamol into his rectum and prayed that he would be able to sleep through the night without any fever. 
Early the next morning, we quickly sent him to Hospital Selayang and medical officer took his blood sample to check. The result showed that his blood platelet is at the borderline, which is 156, while the healthy platelet count is at 150. The doctor advised us to let our son have another blood test the next day. To our shock, my baby's platelet dropped to 122 the next day and it worried me so much. Though he was not admitted, I was constantly praying and wishing that he did not need to be admitted. It would be painful to see him be put on drip and have his blood taken every day. 

The doctor advised the same: to go and have another blood test the next day until my baby's platelet stop dropping and reach back the minimum count. Though the doctor did not confirm whether it was dengue, we tried our best to put our son on the "FIGHTING DENGUE COURSE". I double-boiled "tin kai" (Cantonese) with baby bittergourd and forced down the liquid into my son's throat every 30 minutes.We knew it tasted bitter but he had to have it in order to "cool" his blood. When the liquid finished, we forced barley down him.

The next day, his platelet dropped to 113.  We went to the organic shop and asked for a kind of plant which was believed to be able to cure dengue. Nevertheless, the shop did not sell that. The owner, however, recommmended us, Beetroot juice and said that it can purify the 'dirty' blood and increase the platelet count. My husband bought it. We forced down the liquid into my baby's throat again thrice. At other time, I gave 5ml of Miki Prune juice. 

The following day, baby's platelet went up to 115. It was a relieve. Nevertheless, we were asked to have another blood test for the baby the next day because the rise on the platelet count was too little to determine whether he was going to be OK. We did the same regime - this time giving him 10ml  of water every 30 minutes to one hour. 

Thank God, my baby's platelet shot up to 168 the next day. He was freed, free from being held up to draw out his precious blood to test. And finally, I can really have a good sleep, without having to worry about his temperature.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Nuffnang ads