Wednesday, September 15, 2010

IRRESPONSIBLE DOCTOR

Ask any mother and she'll be able to tell you that a baby's fever comes in the evening. How ignorant was I! I didn't know it...When my son was infected with a certain virus, he had mild fever in the evenings ONLY. I took that to heart and told the Dr. A. But I was taken lightly. I changed to Dr.B and she told me that my son could have UTI (urinary tract infection) which one of the symptoms is evening mild fever. Then, I thought, now someone really listened to me. Urine sample was taken and without given the chance to check on the report, my husband was told that our son had UTI and he had to take 5 days of antibiotic. I gave the medicine to my son diligently. And soon after 5 days, I was relieved. 

When I brought my son for vaccination, I told Dr. A that my son had UTI previously. She asked to get the report and take the child for ultrasound scan. I did as told and when I returned to Dr. B's clinic to get the report - ALAS! Only to find that my son DID NOT have UTI. In fact, the urine test showed everything was NEGATIVE. I was really shocked and regretted to having fed my son the antibiotics for 5 full days! How much of damage could it have done to his body. Now, while Dr. B was not around, Dr. C let  me see the report for myself. Then, he explained that if my son was infected with UTI, he should have a more specific symptom such as:

1) urine difficulty - crying before or during each urination
2) blood in his urine
3) loss of appetite
4) constant fever

Lesson learnt: DO NOT believe everything a doctor said...CHECK THE REPORT yourself. and CHECK again with other doctors.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Nuffnang ads