Thursday, September 10, 2015

Day 4: Honesty test

Today I was tempted and ...

Yesterday I read Alice Mathews' "Mary and Martha" and "Eve and Rahab". Her analyses on the four important women in the Bible were so interesting that though I was exhausted, I couldn't stop reading. 

On Mary and Martha, she said that we need to have both characters in our lives. Mary was the one who searched for the truth and seek God while Martha busied serving God and His people. We need to have both. It's the matter of priority. God. Then, work. 

On Eve and Rahab, I learned that decision making can bring favorable outcome or disaster. One made a bad decision and brought birth pain to the descendants of women. Another one made the right decision and got blessings. 

Today, my friend whatspp me and asked whether I would like to join a survey which RM150 will be paid once it's done. I was elated and asked to join. The agent called soon. And she explained to me what to say and what not to say. I was shocked to know that I've to tell lies...plenty of lies. I kept asking, "God, are white lies considered sinful to you?" At one point of time, I asked to stop the conversation so that I can talk to my best buddy and ask her opinion on it. But the lady on the other line was adamant and said, "It's so easy. Why do you find it difficult? You just need to tell them what I've taught you." 

But I was uneasy. One of the biggest lie I've to say is that I'm working when I've not been working for the past 6 years! 

I finally took the courage to say, "I don't think I can tell lies. I'm not comfortable with it. Thank you." We ended the conversation. But later on she whatspp me and asked me to have second thought. I called my friend and talked about it. 

My friend said, "It's just the matter of RM150. If you want it, just do it. Otherwise don't waste time thinking about it. Rahab did lie too.." 

While reasoning to my friend, I understand better on the story I've read. Yes, Rahab lied. But her lie was the proof of her faith in the God that could save her and her family. Her lie was not done for selfish desire but to save the whole Israel nation. 

If I accept the job, I need to lie and it's for the sake of RM150. Is my integrity and principle worth just RM150? Am I glorifying my God? 

God, it's not easy to reject an offer that pays me with just a few lies. I need the money. RM150 meant a whole week of grocery and food for me. Though not lacking, I wouldn't mind having the extra money to keep. But I know I need to put God first before anything else. I am Jesus' ambassador. What I am doing determines what others see in God. 

Bible verse:
1 John 3:7
Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. He who does what is right is righteous, just as He is righteous. He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Nuffnang ads