Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Begin with the end in mind

Death is inevitable. To some, it might be horrible. My daughter and I have been sick for the past few days, 6 days to be exact. We have visited Hospital Selayang emergency ward twice. As I sat there waiting for our turn to register, I saw people coming in unconscious, wounded or sick. Adults or kids alike, people get sick. 

All of a sudden, I thought to myself, what is there to say before one leave? No one know the hour they'll leave. Like my dad, when he stopped vomiting blood, we thought he was going to be ok, but he fell into a deep sleep and was gone...unnoticed! No final words. And what legacy do we leave to our children? 

I remembered Stephen Covey's "The 7 Habits of highly effective people" where he asked the readers to visualize one's funeral. What would be the impressions of the deceased on those who come to pay their last respect? From there, he advised us to "Begin with the end in mind". 

What would my husband and children say about me on my funeral? What about others? 
Would they say, I am a good wife and a good mother? How much of good deeds have I done? Have I done enough to glorify God's name? Have I done enough to ensure the salvation of my children? Have I really repented? 

There are so much to do to ensure one leaves without regret. So, let us do our best this very moment! If I want to my kids to feel I am a happy mom, I should smile more often. If I want my kids to read more books, I should read more. Keep going...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Nuffnang ads