Monday, March 25, 2013

How to earn you a close friend?

"It looks beautiful. You should keep it for yourself. Give your friend something else," said my Mom. 
"But what should I give to my friend?" I asked naively.
"Go to the shop behind the house and buy something else," advised Mom. 
I trotted as fast as my feet could take me. When I reached the shop, there was little time to choose something beautiful and I ended up buying a coin box. Next, I went home to have it wrapped up and asked Dad to take me to my friend's house. 

It was my friend's birthday and she was having a birthday party. I had always liked attending birthday parties because it meant food and games. Nevertheless, it also meant having to spend on a present for the friend. However, each time after purchasing something which I thought it suited my friend, my Mom would interfere and said that the present looked nice and I should keep it and advised me to buy another one for my friend. It happened many times until I lost my friends that I realised how selfish was that attitude of keeping the best to self and giving something poorly chosen for someone I called a "friend". 

I don't understand why my Mom has this flaw. The only reason I could think of was that she was from a very poor family and that whatever beautiful and nice and good were not available to her in her childhood. Frankly, I didn't know why I wanted the presents which I was suppose to give to my friends but since Mom said they were good, I kept them. It always made me feel embarrassed and shameful of my act. I felt like I've done something very wrong (keeping a secret from my friends) but I wasn't! How much of pressure have I gone through!

Thank God, I am able to give now. God is love and it is only with love that we are able to give sincerely and freely. When I give, I don't expect to get anything in return for I give because I am thankful I am able to give and to share and show my appreciation for the friendship. 

Come friends' birthday, I told  myself that I am not going to give cheapskate things for them. I wanted them to remember me, yes, me, ALICE TONG, as someone who is willing to give to good friends and not someone who would just want something good from others. I told my husband that my Mom's attitude of keeping the best to self is irritating, selfish and mean and she's bothering me when she keeps repeating to me to keep something "best" to myself. 

I hope Mom learn that keeping the best to herself won't win her any close friends...

(pic: a bangle-like bracelet that I bought for a friend I call a sister)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Nuffnang ads